Tuesday 17 January 2012

Hurry up, we're dreaming.


Waiting for a roar
Looking at the mutating skyline
The city is my church
It wraps me in the sparkling twilight

I keep thinking who next, who next, who next? So many amazing bands and artists that have kicked off 2012 for us. Since I had a little break from blogging my ipod seems to have got fuller and fuller and I want to have a little reminising sesh, but no, there is no time. So on a count down from 5, 54321.....I'm going with M83, NO, Ben Howard! Nope, M83 it is, or else that would defy the point of the countdown. Jeeze, pull it together.

Anthony Gonzalez. No, he's not mexican and doesn't wear a sombrero, I know I'm gutted too! He is in fact  a French musician at the forefront of the wonderful band M83, alongside members Yann Gonzalex, Morgan Kibby, Loic Maurin and Jordan Lawlor. Score, I got all the names in. They formed/arrived/begun their "journey" in xfactor language, in 2001. So when I click through endless Youtube clips and read about them online I am reading things dating back to when I was only a teen. I wish someone would have handed me a tape of them when I was 11, and not Hearsay. My life could have turned out totally differently, maybe I wouldn't know all the words to Liberty X (Rival band) and maybe I wouldn't idolise Kim Marsh - she went through so much man! Enough! M83 M83 M83......... Lets talk about their new album Hurry up, we're dreaming.
Oh and a quick PS. When you're trying to tell a hot customer at work about the album and how wicked it is, don't get your words mixed up and call them M62. They are by no means a motorway, believe me!


M83 fall nicely into the playlist you'll call "Chilled" and into the times you'll need music to give you that overwhelming feeling when a song has totally turned your day around. With loud instrumentals and softly spoken lyrics, there is something very delicate and moving about their sound. You'll listen to every drum beat and notice every change of instrument, they're songs make you listen more intently than ever, zoning out of more and more with each song. I love it! For anyone that wants to feel spaced out without smoking a joint, this is the body friendly answer. What a good diagnosis, does that make a Doctor now?

Favourite songs.

"Midnight City". When that high pitched noise first sounds, and you'll know which sound I mean, you will love it. It's even more addictive than the song itself when the instrumentals blast out about 30 seconds in. I can't help but say it sounds like Cut Copy, but maybe since they're on of my favourite bands I think they're in everything.
Guess what I have to do too? Prydz it up, sorry for all you hipsters that don't like dance, but this remix is far to wicked to no mention. If this came on in Wire on a saturday night I would most likely kiss the DJ.

"Kim & Jessie". 4 minutes and 6 seconds of lovelyness. 

"Reunion" - More guitar, more indie... for the radio? I like it either way.
"Too late" - Melodic, romantic and I might go as far as to say beautiful.


So what is more to say than get listening and get buying tickets to see them. :) FiftysAtHeart x
PS. Hope it's been an interesting read!
x






No comments:

Post a Comment